This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on any of the links below, I may get a commission if you make a purchase at absolutely no additional charge to you. This helps offset the costs of running this blog & I appreciate your support. Please see my privacy & disclosure policy for more.
Breckenridge is a Colorado town famous for its mountains and especially ski resort. Because of its rocky nature, alpine activities such as mountain riding, zip-lining, hiking, are most popular.
Other popular summer activities in Breckenridge include golfing, fly fishing, dog sledding, rafting, Paddleboarding & kayaking and horseback riding.
- 20+ Things To Do In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
- How To Get To Breckenridge With Kids
- What To Pack For A Trip To Breckenridge With Kids
- How To Get Around Breckenridge With Kids
- Where To Stay In Breckenridge With Kids
- Things To Do In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
- Horseback Riding Guided Tour
- Explore Historic Downtown Breckenridge
- Country Boy Mine Tours
- Welcome Center and Museum
- Summer Dog Sledding
- Whitewater Rafting
- Breckenridge Troll
- Visit a Museum
- Epic Discovery Fun Park
- Breckenridge Heritage Alliance Tour
- Playgrounds In Breckenridge
- Other things to do in Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
- Tips For Visiting Breckenridge
- Where To Eat In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
- Overall Thoughts On Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
20+ Things To Do In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
How To Get To Breckenridge With Kids
Breckenridge is located between Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE) and Colorado Springs Airport (COS).
We flew into Denver International Airport, rented a car and drove to Breckenridge. The drive time was about an hour and 45 minutes.
What To Pack For A Trip To Breckenridge With Kids
We visited Breckenridge in July, and the weather was moderate, not too hot or too cold. Most people were in shorts and shirts, but we were really cold and wore our jackets throughout the trip.
Make sure to pack layers as well as pants. This is very important as the mornings and evenings get cold. I packed dresses and shorts but it was too cold to wear them so we wore pants throughout our trip.
How To Get Around Breckenridge With Kids
There are several ways to get around Breckenridge with kids – walk, bike, drive, public transportation and hotel transportation.
Breckenridge has a free bus service at 15 or 30 minutes intervals depending on the route. Some hotels offer free shuttle rides depending on where you want to go. Another great way to get around is to walk.
We were able to walk and bike to about 80% of the places we wanted to get to which was perfect.
Where To Stay In Breckenridge With Kids
We stayed at Gravity Haus and absolutely loved it. Gravity house has a coffee shop and restaurant on site, with some of the best croissants I have ever had – and I am not even exaggerating.
We stayed in the Trekker room which had a king sized bed and a bunk bed as well, perfect for a family of 4. The service there was amazing and we really enjoyed everything about this hotel. And did I mention, they also have a trampoline!!
We were able to walk from Gravity Haus to everywhere we needed to go. The location is perfect for exploring Breckenridge.
Other places to stay in Breckenridge
- Residence Inn by Marriott Breckenridge
- The Lodge at Breckenridge
- One Ski Hill Place, A Rock Resort
- Pine Ridge Condominiums
- Mountain Thunder Lodge
RV Parks In Breckenridge
Things To Do In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
People don’t always think about taking summer trips to Breckenridge, however, it is just as fun in the summer as it is in the winter. Below are a few things you can do in Breckenridge in the summer with kids.
Horseback Riding Guided Tour
Summer and fall are the best times to go horseback riding. Horseback riding is a great family friendly activity when in Breckenridge in the summer with kids. The best way to enjoy horseback riding is to book a tour.
We booked our horseback riding tour through Breck Stables. Aiden was looking forward to being able to ride and handle his own horse and he was able to. Kids 6 and older are able to ride their own horse which is great.
Explore Historic Downtown Breckenridge
Explore the historic district in Breckenridge town at leisure throughout your visit. The district was originally a mining district and has preserved the historic Breckenridge town.
Besides the historic district, you can explore the historic Main Street, shop at locally-owned shops and buy locally sourced souvenirs. Remember to pack your own shopping bag, or pick one up at the Breckenridge Welcome Center.
Country Boy Mine Tours
Country Boy Mine offers several fun family tours that the whole family will enjoy.
- Goldmine Tour – This tour sets you on a journey 100ft underground to explore the gold mines in Breckenridge. You will witness the old and new gold and silver ores, learn about all the adventures down a goldmine including life and death experiences.
- Treasure Hunts – Using a metal detector, the thrilling treasure and scavenger hunts are exciting for families. The metal detector helps you discover buried treasure along the trail.
- Monster Truck Hay Ride – Have you ever taken a ride on a sleigh pulled by a truck? The ride goes through magnificent views letting you discover Breckenridge’s gold rush history.
- Pan For Gold – This is a one hour activity where you get to pan the Eureka Creek carrying all types of minerals including gold.
- Meet The Burros – Goldie and Dam are miniature donkeys found at Country Boy Mine. Their size makes them particularly attractive to kids as they get to meet and play with the burros for free.
Breckenridge has several family-friendly trails to go biking. You can choose to either go mountain biking or road biking. Whatever trail you choose, you can be sure to enjoy breathtaking scenes from wildflowers, alpine lakes, the rocky mountains in the background and much more!
We rented a bike from xxx and enjoyed biking around Breckenridge. We rode our bikes to the playground close by and spent the afternoon there with Aiden. He met some friends to play.
Welcome Center and Museum
The Breckenridge welcome center is located at 203 main street. It serves as an information centre and museum. For visitors visiting Breckenridge, the welcome center provides information on where to eat, where or what to do during your visit and where to go shopping.
The museum displays exhibits about the town’s history. The welcome centre is a great place to start when touring Breckenridge as it will give you an idea of your list of activities to do.
Summer Dog Sledding
If you are wondering what sled dogs do during summer, Good Times Adventures is a must visit. During the visit, you will get to interact with the sled dogs, watch their training, ask any questions you may have and enjoy a sled ride as the dogs do their routine daily workout.
The best time to go rafting in Breckenridge is between May and September. The warm temperatures make the rafting experience fun and inviting. The rafting starts at Breckenridge but extends outwards.
You can book a white water rafting trip through Breckenridge White Water. They also offer more activities such as, ziplining, rock climbing, rappelling, fly fishing, horseback riding, train rides, hot air ballooning and more.
If you love seeing lakes, waterfalls, wildflowers all nested within rocky mountains, then you must take a summer hike in Breckenridge. The views and trails are breathtaking making it a worthwhile experience for the entire family. These views are great for taking family photos as well.
Some of the best kid friendly hiking trails in Breckenridge are:
- Burro Trail
- Rainbow Lake
- Sapphire Point
- Old Dillon Reservoir
- Sawmill Reservoir Trail
- Cucumber Gulch Wildlife Preserve
- Illinois Creek Trail – Breckenridge Troll
Breckenridge troll is a 15foot wooden sculpture created by Thomas Dambo as part of the Breckenridge International Festival of Art. The troll is located at Trollstigen Trail in Breckenridge. It is a popular attraction site hence you want to be there earlier than 10 AM or a little past 5 PM to get a closer look.
Visit a Museum
Barney Ford was a slave who after escaping slavery became a stellar businessman and a civil rights leader in Breckenridge. Edwin Carter was a naturalist who preserved species in the 1800s. At the Edwin Carter Museum, you will see exhibits on gold mining and from other naturalists.
Epic Discovery Fun Park
Epic Discovery Fun Park is located at the base of Peak 8. It is accessible by the free Breck Connect Gondola from town. This fun park has a number of kids and friendly activities such as, mini-golf, alpine coasters, climbing wall, mountain biking, zip-lining, hiking, lift rides, slides and more!
You can check out the full list of activities on the Epic Discovery Fun Park website.
Breckenridge Heritage Alliance Tour
The Breckenridge Heritage Alliance is to, “preserve the unique resources in the area and connect residents and visitors through interpretation of heritage sites and stories.” Through the alliance, you can book guided tours such as town walking, hiking and Ghost tours.
These are the most popular summer festivals in Breckenridge.
- Breck Epic
- Labor Day Weekend
- Wave: Light + Water+Sound
- Gold Panning Championships
- Independence Day Celebration
- Breckenridge Summer Beer Festival
- Breckenridge Food and Wine Festival
- Breckenridge Hogfest: Bacon and Bourbon
Playgrounds In Breckenridge
There are so many playgrounds in Breckenridge. If you are traveling with kids, then you know how important it is to be able to take them somewhere to burn off energy.
Below a list of playgrounds you can take your kids to in Breckenridge in the summer:
- Kingdom Park
- Prospector Park
- Turf Field Playground
- Ball Fields Playground
- River Park and Playground
- High Line Railroad Park Playground
Other things to do in Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
There are so many things to do, so I’m just going to list a few other things that are family friendly and your kids will enjoy.
- Sundays Farmers Market
- Go Axe Throwing at Mountain Axe
- Splash in the river at Blue River Plaza
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding at Maggie Pond
- Take an art class at Breckenridge Creative Arts
- Book a bike tour through Breckenridge Bike Tours
- Escape Room through Escape Room Breckenridge
- Visit a Winery – Continental Divide Winery or Carboy Winery
- Fly Fishing through Breckenridge Outfitters or Mountain Angler
- Visit a local brewery – Breckenridge Distillery or Broken Compass Brewing
Tips For Visiting Breckenridge
- Pack layers, you’ll need it as the weather can change quickly.
- You’ll be walking a lot so make sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Hiking shoes are the best option for hiking trails.
- Drink lots of water, as that’ll help you acclimate. We struggled when we got there and felt really sick because of the elevation.
- It’s normal to be out of breathe the first day you arrive, keep that in mind and plan activities accordingly.
Where To Eat In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
Every single meal we had in Breckenridge was soooo good! Whew. The food did not disappoint that’s for sure. Below are some of the restaurants we ate at.
Bangkok Happy Bowl Thai Bistro and Sushi Bar
Overall Thoughts On Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
Breckenridge’s rich history and landscape make it a top destination for families, especially during summer. There are several epic activities to indulge in and a rich history to learn and explore.
It is easily accessible and offers the perfect adventure destination. Consider visiting Breckenridge with kids this summer and share your experience on some of the activities and places highlighted above.