This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on any of the links below, I may get a commission if you make a purchase at absolutely no additional charge to you. This helps offset the costs of running this blog & I appreciate your support. Please see my privacy & disclosure policy for more.
We love traveling as a family and exploring the world, within the United States of America and Internationally as well. However, It was never a goal for our family visit all 50 states.
“Mom, I want to travel around all of America. I want to visit allllllll the states in America. Can you please take me Mom”Aiden Akpan, 5 Years Old
When Aiden first told me that he wanted to visit all the states in America, I giggled and thought, how awesome. but didn’t put much thought into it.
But then, I thought to myself, why not? What was stopping us from doing it?Nothing at all. If Aiden wanted to travel the United States of America, then I’ll do my best to make sure that he gets to do that.
The more we began to look at the map of the United States as a family, the more I realized how attainable this goal was and I decided that we should definitely make it a family goal.
The first state Aiden visited was Nevada at just 6 months old. He was excited to be someplace new, taking in all the sights and sounds. People always ask me “Why bother? He’ll never remember it anyways.”
And my response is always the same “It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t remember this trip or any trip we take because I do, and that matters too.” I remember him looking everywhere, I remember the memories I made with him on this trip. I remember him enjoying being in a different place other than home, and smiling, giggling and everything.
Those memories of our first trip matter to me! My memories count too. We are always so quick to think about kids forgetting things, but what about the parents memories too?
When we decided to take on this challenge as a family, Aiden had already visited about 15 states at just five years old, so I knew we were on the right track. I also decided that I will make sure to include my nieces and nephew on as many trips as we could.
- How Do We Plan To Visit All 50 States?
- What States Have We Been To?
- United States
- Federal District
- United States Territories
How Do We Plan To Visit All 50 States?
The United States of America are made up of 50 states, 1 federal district and 5 territories. Our goal is to travel all 50 states, however I decided to include the 5 territories. Might as well right?
So far, we have been able to visit over 20 states by traveling on a major budget. If you’ve been following my blog for some time now, then you know that budget travel is my thing.
I want to travel the world, but I don’t want to be broke or knee deep in debt. Plus, I’m not a millionaire, so budget travel is the only way to go for me.
We have no exact method, plan drawn out or exact order in which we will do this. We will just travel to as many states as we can and continue to add it to the list below.
Below are a few tips on how we plan to visit all 50 states:
Following The Sale
My motto is “Follow the sale, Not the location” simply meaning we will travel to whatever state is affordable and whatever state has affordable airfare to get to. We will use that as our basis to visit all 50 states.
Visiting Nearby States On One Trip
When we visited Chicago, the cost of our round trip tickets were $40 on Frontier Airlines. After spending a few days in Chicago, we took a Greyhound bus to Wisconsin which was just 3.5 hours away. By doing this, we were able to knock out two states on one trip.
Taking A Road Trip
Our family loves going on road trip, and by doing this we are able to visit several states on one trip. On our most recent RV trip, we visited all 5 National Parks in Utah, as well as Nevada and Arizona.
Living in an RV
We sold our home and moved into an RV so that we can spend more time together, become financially independent and travel the US as well. Living in an RV has made it so easy for us to see the US.
You can refer to these blog posts for all your budget travel needs
Planning a trip and wondering how to get affordable flights? Then click the links below to read exactly how I am able to get flight deals, save on flights and more.
- How To Save Money On Flights
- How Are We Able To Travel Full Time With Kids
- How To Plan A Trip To Any Country In The World
- Best Websites To Find Cheap Flights & Error Fares
- Tips On How To Make Travel Affordable For Families
What States Have We Been To?
Each state is listed below in alphabetical order. Eventually, I plan to have at least one blog post for each state, so that if you are planning a trip, you’ll have a list of kid friendly things to do there with or without your kids.
Traveling with kids and looking for tips, then make sure to click the links below and read more:
- Best Travel Gear For Kids
- How To Travel With Kids Internationally Alone
- Best Countries To Visit In The World With Kids
- Top Must Have Items When Traveling With Kids
- How To Keep Your Kids Entertained & Happy On Flights
- Everything You Need To Know About Traveling With A Car Seat
- Winter Park Ski Trip With Kids
- How To Spend The Weekend In Denver With Kids
- Things To Do In Breckenridge In The Summer With Kids
- The Best Things To Do In Miami With Kids
- Fun Things To Do And See In Orlando With Kids
- The Best Things To See, Do And Eat In The Florida Keys
- 60+ Things To Do In Orlando With Kids Besides Theme Parks
- Tips For Planning Your First Trip To Disney World
- How To Visit Disney’s Animal Kingdom In One Day
- Complete List Of Items Banned At Disney World
- Things To Do In Door County
- Things To Do In Wisconsin Dells
- Best Wisconsin Dells Water Parks
- Must Try Wisconsin Dells Restaurants
Washington, District Of Colombia
United States Territories
Capital – Pago Pago
Capital – Hagatna
Northern Mariana Islands
Capital – Saipan
U.S. Virgin Islands
- Find the best deals on Cruise Direct
- Purchase must have travel insurance through Allianz