This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on any of the links below, I may get a commission if you make a purchase at absolutely no additional charge to you. This helps offset the costs of running this blog & I appreciate your support. Please see my privacy & disclosure policy for more.
If your kids are starting to show interest in gardening, or if you’re interested in introducing them to gardening – here is an easy project that you can both work together on.
Below, we’ll be making a paper roll seed starter with items that you can find right in your home. If you don’t have them at home, a quick 99c store or Wal-Mart run will work, or you can always order some of the items on Amazon as well.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Box/crate (We used a wooden tangerine crate)
- Potting Soil
- 20 Paper rolls
- Mini Popsicle Sticks
- Mini shovel/spoon
1. At the bottom of each roll, make two ¾ inch cuts across from each, then one cut in the center of each of the halves you created. So basically, you divide the bottom of each roll into four equal parts.
2. Fold the 4 flaps as you would fold the flaps of a moving box.
3. Fill each paper roll with potting mix and align them in your box/crate.
4. Using your pen write the names of the plants on the mini popsicle sticks.
5. Put in your seeds, one plant per roll and water.
6. Insert the popsicle sticks in their designated areas.
7. Put your Seed Starter Kit near a light source to allow it to grow until your garden is ready to receive the plants.
8. When you’re ready to move your seedlings outdoors, simply unfold the bottom and plant the whole thing in the ground. The cardboard will decompose into the soil.
Don’t forget to water then regularly. Have Fun!
Make sure to get one of the books below about gardening for your kids which will tie in what they are doing. Reading a gardening book with your kids will definitely get them excited about doing this activity.
Homeschooling – Tips & Tricks
Thinking About Homeschooling – Where To Start
- Is Homeschooling Right For Your Family?
- How To Legally Homeschool Your Child
- Best Tips For Choosing The Right Homeschool Curriculum
- A Comprehensive Resource Guide For Black Homeschooling Families
Where To Shop For Homeschooling Supplies
Visit my Homeschool Resources page to see all the reliable and trustworthy brands that we use for our homeschooling journey.