When parents make the decision to homeschool their children, one of the first thing that comes to mind is homeschool funding. This is no doubt understandable, especially if a parent has to sacrifice working out of the home or working full time in order to stay home and homeschool their child/ren.
California Homeschool Funding: Valiant Prep
When my husband and I made the decision to homeschool, the first thing I looked up was charter schools in Southern California. I wanted to know which of these schools offered homeschool funding while still allowing me to homeschool my kids the way I wanted to. That’s when I came across Valiant Preparatory, also known as Valiant Prep. After a lot of research, I made the decision to enroll my kids into the Valiant Prep homeschool program.
Valiant Prep is a charter school that services students in California. Valiant Prep offers two programs, a homeschool program and an online program. The homeschool program provides instructional funds also known as homeschool funding and allows families to use this money on a variety of educational things for kids. Valiant Prep also has an online program which is set up for students who want to learn through educational content provided online.
PS: Valiant or any other charter school for that matter DOES NOT hand out funds in cash to families. Funds are available on an online portal system and can be used for educational material as needed.
Valiant Prep Homeschool
The Valiant Prep homeschool program is open for enrollment for kids 5 and older in grades TK (Transitional Kindergarten) up until 12th grade. This homeschool program provides homeschool funding for families while also allowing parents to be actively involved and play a first-hand role in the education of their children. Valiant Prep also assigns a credentialed teacher to each family to offer guidance and support throughout the school year as needed. Valiant strongly believes in our Your Education – Your Choice!! This is one of the things that stands out about this school.
Valiant Prep Homeschool Funding
Elementary School – Valiant Prep provides $2800 in homeschool funding per child, each year.
High School – Valiant Prep provides $3200 in homeschool funding per child each year.
How To Spend Valiant Prep Homeschool Funds?
One of the biggest misconception parents have is that if they enroll their children in a homeschool charter program that provides homeschool funding like Valiant Prep, that means that the state and government can control what their children will be learning.
Enrolling my kids with a homeschool charter because we are able to homeschool the kids how we want to. We love the freedom of being able to choose the curriculum we want for the kids, as well a being able to use homeschool funds on educational material and field trips for the kids.
Amazon – Amazon is our favorite website to shop from. We are able to purchase books, educational toys, curriculum, painting sets, science sets, building sets like Legos (there’s a limit), Zoob and much more. These items are delivered straight to our home in the student’s name.
Extracurricular Activities – Valiant Prep has a very wide vendor list and homeschool funds can cover as many or as little activities as you’d like. You can search the list of Valiant Vendors to see if a vendor you want is on the list., if not you can always just request that the vendor you are interested in becomes an approved vendor. The process isn’t too complicated.
Subscription Boxes – These are one of the kids favorite things that they look up to. Some of the subscription boxes they love are Raddish Kids, Bitsbox which is coding and they have become experts at it, Ivy Kids, Legacy Kits, Little Passports and much more.
Music – If your kids are into music, then you don’t have to worry about paying out of pocket for their lessons as Valiant Prep homeschool funds will cover this.
Field Trips – This year, we have used our funds for a few fun field trips. We visited Disney California Adventure, purchased a Chicago City Pass which allowed us to visit the Science Center, Museum and more, and attended a Harlem Globetrotter’s Game. We also have trips planned to Medieval Times which were purchased with Valiant Prep homeschool funds.
PS: Homeschool Charter Funds are NO LONGER eligible to be used on any amusement parts (May 2019 Update).
Sports – Homeschool funds will cover things such as swimming lessons, horseback riding lessons, soccer lessons and much more.
Laptops – With how much technology is improving and changing these days, I was excited to be able to get the kids laptop with their Valiant Prep homeschool funds. I ordered the kids Google Chromebooks, and they have been sending emails, typing up documents and learning how to us Microsoft word, the internet and more. PS: Laptops are considered non-consumable and must be returned when you leave the school.
Outschool Classes – Outschool offers online classes for kids, both pre-recorded and live. My kids absolutely love the live classes especially because they are very engaging. We just signed up for Spanish and Math live classes which start in a week and the kids are so excited about it.
Museum / Zoo Memberships – We have about 3 family museum memberships at the moment which was covered by Valiant Prep; Kidspace Museum Pasadena, Discovery Cube Los Angeles and Palm Springs Children’s Museum. There is so much learning that occurs at these children’s museums.
Valiant Prep Homeschool Requirements
The requirements for families enrolled with Valiant Prep are easy to fulfill by most families.
- Monthly PE log
- Monthly in person or video meetings with a credential teacher assigned to your family, referred to as educational coach or just EC.
- K-8th Grade – monthly writing / educational sample per month.
- High School – 1 writing sample for each class per learning period.
The Perks Of Being Enrolled With Valiant Prep
- The ability to spend up to $500 on theme park tickets.
- In the summer Valiant Prep offers $500 in homeschool funding. When I started with Valiant Prep, I joined in the summer because of this perk and decided to stay because of how smooth and amazing the summer term was.
- Instructional plans are not required. You have full control over your kids curriculum. My kids are unschooled and I love the fact that I don’t feel pressured to use a specific curriculum. As you can see above we focus on a lot of engaging learning activities, field trips and travel.
Valiant Prep Enrollment Process
Enrolling your child in Valiant Prep is an easy process, all you need is your child’s birth certificate or passport, and a current utility bill.
- If you live in any of the following California counties, you can enroll for Valiant Prep – Butte, Colusa, Contra, Costa, Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Los Angeles, Madera, Marin, Mendocino, Merced, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Orange, Placer, Riverside, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Tulare, Ventura, Yolo and Yuba. Valiant Prep does plan to add more, so if you don’t live in any of the mentioned, make sure to check the website often.
If you have any other questions, you can find more answers on Valiant Prep or feel free to reach out to me via email.
Homeschooling – Tips & Tricks
Thinking About Homeschooling – Where To Start
- Is Homeschooling Right For Your Family?
- How To Legally Homeschool Your Child
- Best Tips For Choosing The Right Homeschool Curriculum
- A Comprehensive Resource Guide For Black Homeschooling Families
Where To Shop For Homeschooling Supplies
Visit my Homeschool Resources page to see all the reliable and trustworthy brands that we use for our homeschooling journey.