When parents make the decision to homeschool their children, one of the first thing that comes to mind is homeschool funding. This is no doubt understandable, especially if a parent has to sacrifice working out of the home or working full time in order to stay home and homeschool their child/ren.
California Homeschool Funding: Valiant Prep
When my husband and I made the decision to homeschool, the first thing I looked up was charter schools in Southern California. I wanted to know which of these schools offered homeschool funding while still allowing me to homeschool my kids the way I wanted to. That’s when I came across Valiant Preparatory, also known as Valiant Prep. After a lot of research, I made the decision to enroll my kids into the Valiant Prep homeschool program. Ps: This was one of the best decisions I’ve made.
Valiant Prep is a charter school that services students in California. Valiant Prep offers two programs, a homeschool program and an online program. The homeschool program provides instructional funds also known as homeschool funding and allows families to use this money on a variety of educational things for kids. Valiant Prep also has an online program which is set up for students who want to learn through educational content provided online.
Valiant Prep Homeschool
The Valiant Prep homeschool program is open for enrollment for kids 5 and older in grades TK (Transitional Kindergarten) up until 12th grade. This homeschool program provides homeschool funding for families while also allowing parents to be actively involved and play a first-hand role in the education of their children. Valiant Prep also assigns a credentialed teacher to each family to offer guidance and support throughout the school year as needed. Valiant strongly believes in our Your Education – Your Choice!! This is one of the things that stands out about this school
Valiant Prep Homeschool Funding
Elementary School – Valiant Prep provides $2800 in homeschool funding per child, each year.
High School – Valiant Prep provides $3200 in homeschool funding per child each year.
How To Spend Valiant Prep Homeschool Funds?
One of the biggest misconception parents have is that if they enroll their children in a homeschool charter program that provides homeschool funding like Valiant Prep, that means that the state and government can control what their children will be learning. Please note that this is not true.
Enrolling my kids with Valiant Prep was the best choice that my husband and I made because we are able to homeschool the kids how we want to. We love the freedom of being able to choose the curriculum we want for the kids, as well a being able to use homeschool funds on educational material and field trips for the kids.
Amazon – Amazon is our favorite website to shop from. We are able to purchase books, educational toys, curriculum, painting sets, science sets, building sets like Legos and much more. These items are delivered straight to our home in the student’s name. My kids love receiving Amazon school packages!
Extracurricular Activities – Valiant Prep has a very wide vendor list and homeschool funds can cover as many or as little activities as you’d like. You can search the list of Valiant Vendors to see if a vendor you want is on the list., if not you can always just request that the vendor you are interested in becomes an approved vendor. The process isn’t too complicated.
Subscription Boxes – These are one of the kids favorite things that they look up to. Some of the subscription boxes they love are Raddish Kids, Bitsbox which is coding and they have become experts at it, Ivy Kids, Legacy Kits and much more.
Music – If your kids are into music, then you don’t have to worry about paying out of pocket for their lessons as Valiant Prep homeschool fund will cover this. You can even have private In home lessons if that’s what you prefer.
Field Trips – This year, we have used our funds for some pretty amazing and fun field trips. We visited Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, purchased a Chicago City Pass and explored Chicago, and attended a Harlem Globetrotter’s Game. We have trips planned to Medieval Times, Rainforest Cafe, iFly and more coming up, all purchased with Valiant Prep homeschool funds.
One of the best things about field trips is that Valiant Prep’s homeschool funding also covers the fees for one chaperone per child enrolled with a maximum of 2 parents. So if you have 2 kids enrolled, you can have 2 chaperone tickets covered as well.
Sports – Homeschool funds will cover things such as swimming lesson, horseback riding lessons, soccer lesson and much more.
Laptops – With how much technology is improving and changing these days, I was excited to be able to get the kids laptop with their Valiant Prep homeschool funds. I ordered the kids Google Chromebooks, and they have been sending emails, typing up documents and learning how to us Microsoft word, the internet and more.
Outschool Classes – Outschool offers online classes, both prerecorded and live, for kids. My kids absolutely love the live classes especially because they are very engaging. We just signed up for Spanish and Math live classes which start in a week and the kids are so excited about it.
Museum / Zoo Memberships – We have about 3 family museum memberships at the moment which was covered by Valiant Prep; Kidspace Museum Pasadena, Discovery Cube Los Angeles and Palm Springs Children’s Museum. We also plan to get a San Diego Zoo or LA Zoo membership as well.
Valiant Prep Homeschool Requirements
The requirements for families enrolled with Valiant Prep are easy to fulfill by most families.
- Monthly PE log
- Monthly in person or video meetings with a credential teacher assigned to your family, referred to as educational coach or just EC.
- K-8th Grade – monthly writing / educational sample per month.
- High School – 1 writing sample for each class per learning period which is monthly.
The Perks Of Being Enrolled With Valiant Prep
- The ability to spend up to $500 on theme park tickets. Most homeschool charter programs do not offer amusement park tickets, so this is one of my favorite perks.
- In the summer Valiant Prep offers $500 in homeschool funding. When I started with Valiant Prep, I joined in the summer because of this perk and decided to stay because of how smooth and amazing the summer term was.
- Instructional plans are not required. You chose and have full control over your kids curriculum. My kids are unschooled and I love the fact that I don’t feel pressured to use a curriculum. As you can see above we focus on a lot of travel, field trips and engaging learning activities.
Valiant Prep Enrollment Process
Enrolling your child in Valiant Prep is a very easy process, all you need is your child’s birth certificate or passport, and a current utility bill.
Right now Valiant Prep is offering $2,000 in homeschool funding to any family who enrolls their child before March 1st 2019. That is quite a lot of money considering you’ve got only a few months left in the school year to spend it all on awesome things for your children. When completing your enrollment, please make sure to click the drop-down button and select “The Mom Trotter.”
- If you live in any of the following California counties, make sure to enroll your kids. You won’t regret it, I promise – Butte, Colusa, Contra, Costa, Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Los Angeles, Madera, Marin, Mendocino, Merced, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Orange, Placer, Riverside, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, Sutter, Tulare, Ventura, Yolo and Yuba. Valiant Prep does plan to add more, so if you don’t live in any of the mentioned, make sure to check the website often.
If you have any other questions, you can find more answers on Valiant Prep or feel free to reach out to me via email.
This post was sponsored by OneTHREE Social, however as always, all opinions are my own.
Homeschooling – Tips & Tricks
Thinking About Homeschooling – Where To Start
- Is Homeschooling Right For Your Family?
- How To Legally Homeschool Your Child
- Best Tips For Choosing The Right Homeschool Curriculum
- A Comprehensive Resource Guide For Black Homeschooling Families
Where To Shop For Homeschooling Supplies
Visit my Homeschool Resources page to see all the reliable and trustworthy brands that we use for our homeschooling journey.