When people think about travel, they often think about flying somewhere or traveling internationally. However, there are plenty of places to travel to within the United States of America that you can reach by train, bus or car.
- United States Brief
- Which US States Have We Been To?
- Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA
- Who doesn't like Free Resources? Sign up below to get all the deets.
United States Brief
There are 50 states in the United States of America, as well as a federal district – Washington D.C. which is the capital of the United States, five major territories – Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Of these 50 U.S. states, 48 of them are contiguous meaning they are directly connected to each other, and you can road trip to all of them, or take the train or bus. The other 2 states, Alaska and Hawaii are not connected to the 48 states. Alaska is on the northwest of North America above Canada, and Hawaii is located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Which US States Have We Been To?
As you can see, there are so many places to visit within the U.S., so if you don’t have a passport, don’t let that stop you from traveling. Aiden’s goal is to visit every state and territory in the U.S. So far, he has visited 23 states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- West Virginia
Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA
If you want to have an amazing family vacation in the U.S.A. before your kids are all grown and away from home, then check out the following list of Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA.
Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA 1-5
- Dinosaur Valley State Park – Glen Rose, Texas
Visit here to see some of the best preserved dinosaur tracks in the world. If your kids are into dinosaurs like mine are, then this is one of the best things to do with kids in Texas. You can check out these RV Parks in Texas is you decide to camp there. You won’t regret it.
- Disney World – Orlando, Florida
Disney parks are designed to amaze and wow kids. With everything from fireworks, zoos, rides and castles, this is a children’s paradise.
- Grand Canyon National Park – Arizona
This 6,000-foot-deep, 277 miles, long gorge is one to behold. See rocks that are over a million years old and marvel at the wonders of nature.
- Freedom Trail – Boston, Massachusetts
It’s a 2 and a half miles’ road where your kids can learn about the Boston Massacre, granary burying grounds and other interesting stuff.
- USA Space and Rocket Center – Huntsville, Alabama
Got a kid aspiring to become a rocket scientist? What is the best place to send them then in the US space and rocket center? They have the largest spaceflight museum on earth.
Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA 6 – 10
- Rock and Roll House of Fame – Cleveland, Ohio
Learn about all types of rock music. If your kids like rock, they’ll love this place and may even identify with contemporary rock stars.
- Statue of Liberty – New York
Lady liberty is a common and famous figure, representing freedom. Your kids will learn about Ellis Island and how it presented immigrants with a chance at better life.
View this post on Instagram
- Alaska Cruise – Alaska
Join a cruise here and see magnificent icebergs and vast wilderness at close range. An Alaskan Cruise is one of the top things to do in the U.S.
- Mammoth Cave National Park – Kentucky
With huge rocks hanging down, this cave is one of the world’s longest system of caves. If your kids love adventure, then this is one of the best things to do with kids in Kentucky.
- San Diego Zoo – San Diego, California
One of a kind zoo in the U.S. where kids can see practically all kids of animals including sun bears, pandas and koalas. Don’t forget to check out the Safari Park also.
Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA 11 – 15
- Georgia Aquarium – Atlanta, Georgia
The Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta is among the largest aquariums in the world and containing a great collection of exotic ocean animals such as penguins, beluga whales and seals.
- Water Park Capital – Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Wisconsin Dells is known as the water park capital of the world. This small town in Wisconsin is one of the top things to do with kids. There are arcades, indoor and outdoor water park, camping sites and so much more. Your kids will love it.
- Art Institute of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
If your kids are into art, this institute is home to over 30,000 pieces of art from across the globe and it is a great learning center about art and history and a top thing to do with kids in Chicago.
- Nascar Hall of Fame – Charlotte, North Carolina
Your kids can find their favorite Nascars and learn about their history of Nascar at the Nascar Hall of Fame. If your kids are into cars, they love visiting this place.
- Alcatraz Island – San Francisco, California
Your kids might not know who Al Capone was but they will read about him in history books at some point. You can show them, where Capon, and others like him were incarcerated.
Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA 16 – 20
- Niagara Falls – New York
See over 6 million cubic feet of water plunge into a fall in a thunder every minute! There’s a view from Canada as well, but the U.S. view is just as great.
- Yosemite National Park – California
Yosemite National Park is home to the largest waterfall in North America. It also contains some of the largest sequoia trees in the world.
- City Museum – St. Louis, Missouri
With man-made caves, tunnels and slides, the City Museum is one of the best museums for kids offering hours of endless fun.
- National Civil Rights Museum – Memphis, Tennessee
Let the kids learn about the civil rights struggle. One of the things to do with kids in Memphis is visiting the Lorraine hotel, where Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated.
- Arches National Park – Utah
See over 2,000 natural stone arches and red rocks blended beautifully into the environment. Aches National Park is known to have the largest density of natural sandstone arches in the entire world.
Best Things To Do With Kids In The USA 21 – 26
- Schlitterbahn Water-park – New Braunfels, Texas
Voted the best water-park in the world, pick your choice of slides, heated pools, twisting funnels and more and enjoy your visit.
- One World Trade Center – New York
This 1,776-foot-tall building stands on the ruins of the former world trade center that was destroyed in the Sept 11, 2001 terrorist attack. There’s much to see and learn here and one of the best things to do with kids in New York.
- Cedar Point – Lake Erie, Ohio
Experience 17 thrilling roller coasters at this amusement park. If your kids love rides then add this to your list of things to do with kids in Ohio.
- The French Quarter – New Orleans, Louisiana
Your kid will love all the entertainment here such as magicians, jugglers, mimes, jazz bands and much more. Don’t forget to take a horse ride while enjoying the sights.
- Yellowstone National Park – Wyoming
This place has the highest concentration of geysers in the world that shoot steam every 90 minutes. You can also watch as wildlife interact with each other here.
- Islanders Beach, Hilton Head, South Carolina
This beach is named as one of the best beaches to visit in the USA. If you live in the East Coast, this is a great thing to do with kids. Every child loves the beach and will be guarantee to enjoy their time here.
As you can see from this list above, there are so many fun places and amazing things to do with kids in the USA. So go through this list and take your kids to one of the amazing places listed.
Tips & Tricks For Booking An Affordable Family Vacation
- Search for the cheapest flights using Skyscanner
- Make sure to download the Free Skyscanner App which also has super deals!
- Book hotels on TripAdvisor, HotelsCombined, Bookingor Hotels
- Book vacation homes on HomeAwayor VRBO
- Book very cheap all-inclusive resorts on BookVIP
Activities / Excursions
- Reserve a rental on com, Car Rental 8or Skyscanner Car Rentals
- Find airport parking for your car on Airport Parking
- Find the best deals on Cruise Direct
- Purchase must have travel insurance through Allianz
Looking to save even more money when you travel?
Visit my Travel Resources page to see all the reliable and trustworthy brands that I use to book my travel with. I only recommend brands that I’ve used and can vouch for, so you’re in good hands! ? Also check out these posts below:
- How To Save Money On Flights
- Best Websites To Find Cheap Flights & Error Fares
- Tips On How To Make Travel Affordable For Families
Top Travel With Kids Tips
Traveling with kids and have a few questions you need answers too, these posts below will help your trip run smooth.